Skip to content
FREE Shipping for SYDNEY over $70 or Australia wide: Free shipping on Orders over $150!

Swik Home + Body Blog

Candle Care

by Swik Home + Body 13 May 2020 0 Comments

Taking care of your candle is so super important.  As a business, we test every type of glassware we have on the market – we make sure it has the right size wick that is not going to be too hot but going to burn enough to give you a beautiful scent through your home.  We would never release a candle without testing it inside and out.

However, lets face it, you are lighting a flame inside a piece of glass.  There are definitely precautions you absolutely should take to ensure you are safely using your candle. 

First Burn

The first burn of your candle is really important.  This sets a memory for your candle.  On the first burn it is important to make sure you let the wax melt all the way to the edge of the glass.  This can take anywhere from 2-4 hours, so make sure you leave enough time to be able to do this when you are lighting your candle.

Although subsequent burns shouldn’t cause as much trouble, you should always try to burn it until it reaches the edge of the glassware to avoid tunnelling.  We have our jars wicked so that this will usually happen within 2-3hrs.

Trim your wick!

Each time you light your candle, after the first time - you must trim the wick.  We suggest taking it down to around 5mm.  You can do this with fancy wick trimmers, or you can just break it off with a tissue (my preferred method!) – but make sure you do it, either way.  If you don’t, there is way too much wick in there which will create more heat when alight (which is not good for glassware), will create soot (which is rare in soy candles) and will put a black rim around the top of your candle jar.   It will also start to shed black soot pieces into your candle which is not a nice clean look.

Burn Time

Never, ever, burn your candle for more than 4 hours.  3 hours is what we recommend.  It is glassware after all, it will get hot.  As a business, when we test, we burn for much longer hours just to make sure and have never had a problem – but we never ever recommend more than 4 hours.   If you want to keep that smell going for longer, blow the candle out – allow it to cool for at least half an hour to an hour – trim the wick, then light again.

STOP Burning

This is probably the most important piece of information you will ever get about a candle!  I know it is tempting to burn it to the very last little bit of soy in the jar, but this is dangerous.  We do put higher metal wick bases on to try and prevent this, but please – leave at least 1cm of wax in the bottom of your candle.  If you burn it right to the bottom, you are literally putting fire on glass and there is a potential to crack.

General Safety

I think it goes without saying, never leave a candle burning unattended.  I’ve done it, forgotten to blow one out at night, I woke up in the morning - coming down the stairs and thinking how amazing that the candle’s smell hung around so strong overnight – then walked around the corner to see the candle flame.  My heart sunk, anything could have happened… a lesson learnt!  

Keep out of reach of children and pets, they are curious creatures – the both of them.  When my kids were younger they were more likely to sing happy birthday, then blow it out than touch it – but you just never know!

Avoid drafts and placing the candle near flammable objects (like curtains!).  I like to place my candles on stone or (fake) marble type trays.  I’ve also always burned them on my timber dining table without issue for many years, but again – you just never know, always best to be careful rather than not.  Almost all our jars have thick bases on them, so the heat shouldn’t go through to the timber. 


If you are not burning your candle straight away, always store it in a cool dark place.  Soy wax is a much more natural product than paraffin – it will not last forever.  I’ve burnt candles a few years old no problem, however if moisture gets into it – the candle can expand, which is why we advise to keep it in a dry place.

If you are ever in doubt, drop us a line and we can help!

Prev Post
Next Post

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.

Thanks for subscribing!

This email has been registered!

Shop the look

Choose Options

Edit Option
Back In Stock Notification
this is just a warning
Login Close
Shopping Cart
0 items